Friday, May 3, 2013

Please pray for me, in the name of Jesus

Today a big man came to my social services office asking for prayer in the name of Jesus. The mystery guy probably weighs 280 lbs, is slightly taller than me, perhaps by quarter a foot; I stand at 5" 10".

At first it looked rather awkward if not purely funny that a man smelling of alcohol could walk to my office by broad daylight asking for prayer. I found him sitting in the waiting room of our social services office. He looked a little disoriented but he was clearly articulate and knew what he wanted. He wanted someone to pray for him.
Initially, when I saw him he stood up and approached me directly, "I need prayer. Please pray for me in the name of Jesus," was his request.
I pretended not to hear him. After all, when did anyone come to social services office asking for prayer? Never! It never happened. Occasionally, I may offer to pray with a client in distress who seems to express the need. Expressing one's religion can be tricky and I exercise it with great sensitivity. For that reason I prefer to wait for the client to state a need for prayer.
I went away past him to the church building one hundred yards from social services building. Upon returning I used a back entrance into my office hoping that way to avoid meeting him.
As I turned the corridor I found the gentleman speaking with my colleague.
My colleague in turn said to me, "This guy is asking for a Pastor to pray for him. So I told him to wait until you returned." She said, motioning with her hand to me to take over from there. Two colleagues were standing there besides him.
"Okay, I will walk to the chapel with him." I said, indicating to the man to follow me. I walked out of the building to the chapel. There I led him to the 'penitent seat' where I told him to kneel down before the LORD.
I prayed for him in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth. I rebuked the devil and demonic forces for messing up his life; I prayed for forgiveness and restoration in his life and family. I prophesied a whole lot concerning him and his family and his wife. After 25 minutes of praying there I asked him to stand up and follow me out of the chapel. He was so broken, crying like a baby, his entire face filled with tears. I rushed inside the service room toilet to get some tissue paper for his face.
As we walked out he showed me the bicycle he was riding. Then he pointed to a picture of a helicopter on his T-shirt:
"I used to drive these and now I am riding this." I nodded my head in understanding, wondering what his life is like or where he has been.
Such is life, there are ups and downs. Only Jesus makes the difference that prevents the downs from becoming down-and-out. Jesus is the equalizer in life. he came to give us full and rich life. He comes in to save, restore, and bless. He protects and guides.
One day perhaps this man will return to tell me what happened. I took authority in the name of Jesus; I bound the powers of the devil in the name f Jesus, and I released the working of the Holy Spirit in the life and family of this mystery man, in the name of Jesus. See this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF_gJgILBiE

No comments:

Post a Comment